What's the consensus on supplementing Altec horn 2-ways with a tweeter, I just want the thoughts from people whether they needed to do this or not??![]()
What's the consensus on supplementing Altec horn 2-ways with a tweeter, I just want the thoughts from people whether they needed to do this or not??![]()
Assuming you're referring to other than Mantaray/large format driver/prosound systems, then AFAIK the consensus is that there's no consensus since some feel that their rising on axis response is adequate while others prefer a flatter power response over a wider arc (wider 'sweet spot') all the way to the limits of audibility for those with keen HF hearing and/or when the signal source extends this high. Personally, I'm in the latter 'camp' WRT recommendations now that we can finally ~inexpensively digitally deal with the phasing issues.
Mantaray loaded systems can usually be EQ'd flat to the limits of audibility over a narrow, but normally acceptable 'sweet spot', so a super-tweeter is normally only needed when either a very wide one is desired for whatever reason or extreme efficiency to the limits of audibility is desired.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
I don't like seperate tweeters but I do like the extended highs gained with EQed crossovers such as the 19 uses.
I'm using stock 19's & find no need to extend the HF's. I have tried them with a JBL slot (077??) passively crossed over at, if I remember correctly 7Khz, but found no improvement at all. In fact I preferred the sound without the slots. Maybe the JBL's weren't of a high enough quality for seriuous HI Fi listening as they are used more for PA applications.
for Hi-fi purposes, the slots are generally crossed higher than 7K,
the figure i've seen used more often, in hi-fi, was ~10K
maybe the (jbl 2404) baby butt cheeks are a better option, as the 075/076/077 (and pro equilivents) are pretty "beamy" IME -- unless you are looking for beamy
![]()
.........................
dave's not hear
I find the BMS 4552ND on the 511B horn provides more than adequate treble, it's best to cross this driver over at around 1200hz. The only problem with the BMS driver is efficiency, it's in excess of 113db so it has to be tamed for best results. The 902 drivers seem to be bright enough on their own too, the 902 and 4552ND are my favorite drivers for home hi-fi, Dave.
![]()
Altec A7's (Lansing 515-8LF,802-8G,511B) & (GPA 515-8LF, Eminence PXB2:800, BMS 4552ND, 511B), homebrew Model 18's (604-8H) with Elite 80+ Tube Amps and BBE DS26 bi-amp crossover.
Bookmarks